The suspect accused of committing a mass shooting at a restaurant and bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine has been found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
“The suspect in Wednesday nights shootings has been located and is deceased,” the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office confirmed in a Facebook post published at 9:20 pm Friday evening.
The suspect in Wednesday nights shootings has been located and is deceased.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills also confirmed his death during a late Friday press conference, telling reporters that Robert Card, 40, “is no longer a threat to anyone.”
“Now is the time to heal. With this search concluded, I know that law enforcement continues to fully investigate all the facts so we can bring what closure we can to the victims and their families,” she added.
BREAKING: The suspected gunman who killed 18 people in the US state of Maine has been found dead
Governor of Maine, Janet Mills, said she is “breathing a sigh of relief” to know the suspect is “not a threat” to anyone any morehttps://t.co/TEUqDTJJja
Sky 501, Virgin 602 pic.twitter.com/X7X1kvpGCB
— Sky News (@SkyNews) October 28, 2023
Meanwhile, Rep. Jared Golden, a Democrat whose district includes Lewiston, said in a statement to X that folks in Maine can “feel safe that this threat has ended.”
“With the news that the murderer responsible for Wednesday’s shooting has been found dead, the people of Lewiston and the surrounding communities can feel safe that this threat has ended,” he wrote.
“I know that we will all continue to pray for and care for the families who have lost loved ones, for the wounded, and for the survivors who experienced this terrible shooting. This is a time for mourning the loss of life and to honor the memory of each one of these members of our greater community,” he added.
— Congressman Jared Golden (@RepGolden) October 28, 2023
According to sources who spoke with CNN, Card was found in the woods around 7:45 pm Friday near a recycling center in Lisbon, which is approximately eight miles from Lewiston. It’s the same center from which he was reportedly fired days earlier.
Victims of the Oct. 25th mass shooting are reportedly relieved but still still searching for answers.
“It is relieving so that the community itself can definitely move on without the fear of him out there, but it is also sad because we have so many questions left unanswered,” survivor Tammy Asselin told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins.
Asselin was reportedly separated from her 10-year-old daughter during the shooting. Thankfully, her daughter survived. Her cousin, Tricia Asselin, did not.
“I know it does give my daughter some peace to know that he has been caught because that was a fear of hers that he’s still out there,” she said.
As previously reported, Wednesday’s mass shooting began before 7:15 p.m. By 8:53 p.m., the Lewiston Maine Police Department had reported on Facebook that there was “an active shooter incident” in the town.
According to various reports, the gunman first entered the Sparetime Recreation bowling alley and opened fire, killing a number of people.
The gunman then left and traveled to Schemengees Bar and Grille, which is about four miles away and opened fire, killing more people.
— BPR based (@DumpstrFireNews) October 26, 2023
President Joe Biden predictably responded to Card’s death by issuing a lengthy statement calling for more gun control.
“Once again, an American community and American families have been devastated by gun violence. In all, at least eighteen souls brutally slain, more injured, some critically, and scores of family and friends praying and experiencing trauma no one ever wants to imagine,” he said.
“Americans should not have to live like this. I once again call on Republicans in Congress to fulfill their obligation to keep the American people safe. Until that day comes, I will continue to do everything in my power to end this gun violence epidemic. The Lewiston community – and all Americans – deserve nothing less,” he added.
According to the New York Post, however, Card had used a “legally purchased” .308 rifle to commit the mass shootings.
Moreover, the president made no mention of the deceased suspect’s mental health issues.
“Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks in the summer of 2023. … Card had reported ‘hearing voices and threats to shoot up’ the military base,” the Associated Press previously reported.
Card’s death comes after a two-day manhunt that involved local law enforcement, in addition to officers from the FBI, SWAT, and “BORTAC” Border Patrol unit.
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- Race and gender identity will factor in when students misbehave in Portland public schools - December 6, 2023
- Billionaire demands Harvard, UPenn, MIT presidents step down over genocide of Jews controversy - December 6, 2023
- ‘Intimately involved’: Turns out Joe Biden was emailing with Hunter’s business partner on alias account - December 6, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.