President Biden gave a divisive second State of the Union address on Tuesday that garnered predictable cheers from Democrats over banning “assault weapons” and codifying Roe v. Wade, while Republicans jeered him over the border and Social Security.
The speech was full of cringeworthy moments. Here are ten of them:
1. First up was First Lady Jill Biden kissing Vice President Kamala Harris’ husband, Doug Emhoff, smack dab on the lips while greeting him at the State of the Union. The moment was awkward, to say the least.
2. Next up was Biden’s crusade to ban so-called “assault weapons.” He yelled during his speech for Congress to “Ban assault weapons now. Ban them now, once and for all!” He went on to proclaim that “I led the fight to do that in 1994… Let’s finish the job and ban these assault weapons.”
During his State of the Union Address, Joe Biden screams, "BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS NOW!"
Joe is talking about commonly owned semi-automatic rifles used by millions of law-abiding citizens for self-defense. pic.twitter.com/tVlwZwofG3
— NRA (@NRA) February 8, 2023
The definition of what constitutes an assault weapon for the left continues to shift and has morphed into basically a massive gun grab which the president is pushing for with all his executive might.
Democrats gave Biden a standing ovation for the call to ban guns. Republicans just shook their heads over the plea to strip the constitutional right to bear arms from Americans.
He used the shooting of 11 people during the Lunar New Year at a ballroom near Los Angeles as a political platform to make the call. It was reportedly a semi-automatic pistol with a magazine larger than 10 rounds.
3. Biden also fudged once again on jobs that he has “created” since he took office.
“Two years ago, our economy was reeling,” he declared. “As I stand here tonight, we have created a record 12 million new jobs, more jobs created in two years than any president has ever created in four years.”
That’s not even close to being correct, evidently. Fox News reported that the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) claimed that he has only added 2.7 million overall jobs because the rest were lost during the pandemic.
4. Republicans actually laughed when Biden said America will “need oil for at least another decade” during his speech. It was a noted response to the president’s ongoing vilification of the oil and gas industry and his attempts to shut it down regardless of the consequences.
He made the comments as he was discussing policies calling for businesses to pay more taxes and share more profits.
“Have you noticed big oil just reported its profits, record profits?” Biden stated. “Last year, they made $200 billion in the midst of a global energy crisis. I think it’s outrageous. Why? They invested too little of that profit to increase domestic production, and when I talked to a couple of them. They say, ‘We’re afraid you’re going to shut down all the oil wells, all the oil refineries anyway, so why should we invest in them?’”
“I said, ‘We’re going to need oil for at least another decade,’” he asserted, prompting laughter from the chamber. “And beyond that. We’re gonna need it.”
(Video Credit: CNN)
5. Biden trotted out Tyre Nichols’ family to help push police reform which is extremely unlikely to happen in Congress with Republicans controlling the House of Representatives.
Nichols was beaten by five black police officers in Memphis, Tennessee after a traffic stop. He died from his injuries three days later and the officers have been charged with murder.
Even HBO host Bill Maher called the grandstanding of Biden using the grieving family as political props during his speech, “tragedy porn.”
(Video Credit: CBS News)
6. Possibly the most memorable moment of the night came when the chamber erupted in anger over Biden repeating an old Democratic talking point that has long been debunked by fact-checkers on Social Security and Medicare, according to Fox News.
“Some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset,” Biden stated from the floor.
“I’m not saying it’s a majority,” he continued as Republicans began to boo him. “Anybody who doubts it, contact my office, I’ll give you a copy. I’ll give you a copy of the proposal.”
“Liar!” Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) shouted in response.
“I’m not saying it’s a majority of you. I don’t even think it’s even a significant – but it’s being proposed by individuals. I’m politely not naming them, but it’s being proposed by some of you,” the president claimed.
(Video Credit: TIME)
7. As Biden was paying tribute to a fentanyl victim, hecklers interrupted him. Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy appeared to shush them while the president was speaking.
The House majority leader could be seen mouthing, “Shush,” after a Republican yelled, “It’s coming from China,” and another shouted, “It’s your fault.”
8. He also appeared to attempt to quiet conservatives when Biden spoke on immigration reform.
(Video Credit: Forbes Breaking News)
9. Biden touted his infrastructure package once again and all that its massive spending entails.
(Video Credit: CBS News)
10. He only mentioned China three times during his speech. At one point, he took credit for the Chinese spy balloon being shot down and proclaimed that he had acted to protect America by doing so.
He addressed the incident almost as an afterthought.
(Video Credit: LiveNOW from FOX)
Meanwhile, the leftist media drooled over the speech.
CNN anchors Jake Tapper and Chris Wallace loved it, calling the speech “feisty” and singling out the “magic moment” Biden took on heckling Republicans.
“He was feisty, he was combative at times even responsive to the crowd,” Tapper commented concerning Biden. Biden “was heckled quite often and quite rudely by many of the same House Republicans who made the speaker’s life so difficult a month ago when we were sitting there.”
(Video Credit: CNN)
Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- ‘Why do you think that is?’ Tucker and Greenwald dissect Biden’s refusal to urge ceasefire in Ukraine - March 21, 2023
- Biden signs Hawley’s COVID declassification bill on origins of virus: ‘Time for accountability’ - March 21, 2023
- Trump confronts DeSantis on his reaction to possible charges; just wait until it happens to him… - March 21, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.