Ilhan Omar finally makes statement on alleged ties to Minnesota daycare fraud scandal

Questions swirling about the Minnesota daycare fraud scandal have Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) decrying the “flat-out false” claims against her.

The “Squad” member spoke out amid scrutiny of the Feeding Our Future fraud scandal in her state and seemed to pin responsibility on the Trump administration as she defended herself in a statement to Fox News Digital on Wednesday.

“Any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false,” Omar said in a written statement.

“The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package. Trump’s USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program,” the Minnesota Democrat added. “I have always championed feeding kids and will continue to ensure our children do not go hungry.”

Fox News noted that Omar “refused to answer and walked away without responding” when pressed about her alleged connection with the fraud that has cost taxpayers more than $250 million.

In  her statement, Omar said she “immediately sent a letter to the USDA Secretary demanding answers and accountability” at the “moment this fraud came to light.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“As I stated from the beginning, stealing millions of dollars under the guise of feeding hungry children to bankroll lavish lifestyles and extravagant expenses is reprehensible,” Omar said. “I’m grateful that Aimee Bock and every individual involved in this abhorrent scheme are being held accountable for defrauding taxpayers and betraying vulnerable children.”

A subpoena from the Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee to compel Omar to testify was blocked by Democrats, as the committee released its final report last week.

“She only sent a letter once the fraud was exposed,” the committee’s Republican chair, state Rep. Kristin Robbins, told Fox News Digital, responding to Omar’s statement. “Prior to that, she sent letters urging the administration to keep the waivers in place — allowing the fraud to continue. Sounds like revisionist history. I don’t buy it at all.”

Frieda Powers

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles