New York Times loses bigly in defamation case of former University of Alabama basketball player

An Alabama jury awarded $9.25 million in damages on Thursday to a former Alabama college basketball player who sued The New York Times two years ago after it defamed him in an article.

The lawsuit from former University of Alabama men’s basketball team player Kai Spears stemmed from a bogus report that the Times filed after the 2023 murder of a Birmingham mother named Jamea Harris.

Citing an anonymous person familiar with the investigation, Times reporter Billy Witz wrote that Spears had been a passenger in a car involved in the shooting, according to AL.com. That turned out to be false.

The only thing true about the story was that Harris’ murder did involve a University of Alabama player — just not Spears:

After the story’s publication in March of 2023, the University of Alabama’s own athletic department came to Spears’ defense, according to the university’s student paper, The Crimson White.

“Your story is inaccurate,” UA Athletics wrote in a statement to the Times. “Based on the information we have, there were no current student-athletes present at the scene other than Brandon Miller and Jaden Bradley, who are both fully cooperating witnesses. From the outset, UA Athletics has fully cooperated with law enforcement and supported their investigation.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Spears, meanwhile, issued a social media statement also refuting the story.

“I have one thing to say – the report in the New York Times was 100% inaccurate and the writer had complete disregard for the truth,” he wrote on Instagram. “I am trying to process and cope with these false statements that somehow have been published and then seen by so many.”

“So thankful to Alabama Athletics for refuting it on my behalf. More than anything … I remain completely heartbroken by the tragic death that occurred that night,” he added.

His father also condemned the Times.

“I am just incredibly disappointed in the irresponsible and demonstrably false reporting by the New York Times,” his father said. “We are exploring all legal options at this time. I will have no further comment, instead deferring to the University of Alabama’s statement on the matter.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Yet not until Spears finally filed two months later in May of 2023 did the Times even have the decency to issue a correction.

“On Wednesday, Spears filed a defamation suit against The Times that included new details about the incident,” read the correction. “Based on that information, editors assigned further reporting, which determined that the other person at the scene was not Spears but Cooper Lee, a student manager for the team. The Times regrets the error in the initial report.”

After The Times — known by many conservatives as The New York Slime — lost their suit this week, they predictably cried foul.

“We’re disappointed the jury found The Times liable for an honest mistake,” a spokesperson said in a statement. “We thank the jury for its service, but believe the verdict and award of damages are contrary to law and not supported by the evidence. We are reviewing our legal options.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In its own reporting about getting its ass handed to it in court, the Times shamelessly boasted how it had “not lost a defamation lawsuit brought in the United States over one of its articles in more than 50 years.”

“One of those defeats came in 1964’s New York Times v Sullivan, brought by Montgomery police commissioner L. B. Sullivan over a newspaper ad criticizing police over their treatment of Civil Rights protesters,” according to AL.com.

The Times is also currently facing a $15 billion defamation suit brought by President Donald Trump.

Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles