Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott met President Biden on his first visit to the border Sunday, handing him a brutal letter that listed what has to be done to stop the catastrophic flow of illegal immigrants into Texas while telling him his actions are “two years too late.”
(Video Credit: WFAA)
“Your visit to our southern border with Mexico today is $20 billion too little and two years too late,” the letter started off. “Moreover, your visit avoids the sites where mass illegal immigration occurs and sidesteps the thousands of angry Texas property owners whose lives have been destroyed by your border policies.”
“Even the city you visit has been sanitized of the migrant camps which had overrun downtown El Paso because your Administration wants to shield you from the chaos that Texans experience on a daily basis,” the letter charged. “This chaos is the direct result of your failure to enforce the immigration laws that Congress enacted.”
Abbott didn’t hold back and informed Biden in the letter that the border had been much safer under former President Trump. He then told the president that the illegal immigration crisis is the worst it has ever been under his lack of leadership.
“Your open-border policies have emboldened the cartels, who grow wealthy by trafficking deadly fentanyl and even human beings,” the letter contended. “Texans are paying an especially high price for your failure, sometimes with their very lives, as local leaders from your own party will tell you if given the chance.”
Hand-delivered a letter to President Biden today during his first visit to the border.
His trip is $20 billion too little & 2 years too late.
I’m calling on Biden to do his constitutional duty to protect our nation. pic.twitter.com/cy8xgh5EJ2
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) January 8, 2023
The conservative Texan bluntly told Biden that the crisis is out of control because the president has violated his constitutional obligation “to defend the States against invasion through faithful execution of federal laws,” and added, “Halfway through your presidency, though, I can finally welcome you to the border.”
Abbott went on to tell Biden that when he was done with “the photo-ops in a carefully stage-managed version of El Paso,” that he needed to do five things:
- You must comply with the many statutes mandating that various categories of aliens “shall” be detained, and end the practice of unlawfully paroling aliens en masse.
- You must stop sandbagging the implementation of the Remain-in-Mexico policy and Title 42 expulsions, and fully enforce those measures as the federal courts have ordered you to do.
- You must aggressively prosecute illegal entry between ports of entry, and allow ICE to remove illegal immigrants in accordance with existing federal laws.
- You must immediately resume construction of the border wall in the State of Texas, using the billions of dollars Congress has appropriated for that purpose.
- You must designate the Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations.
Abbott concluded the letter succinctly, “On behalf of all Americans, I implore you: Secure our border by enforcing Congress’s immigration laws.”
Biden appeared to read the letter, before folding it, shaking hands with the governor and then moving on to greet others who turned out to meet him during his short stay in El Paso.
“The president who caused the chaos at the border needed to be here,” Abbott stated in a five-minute question-and-answer session with reporters. “He needs to step up and take swift action, including reimbursing the state of Texas for the money that we’ve spent (on state border security initiatives).”
When asked what the president told him, Abbott responded, “He said he wanted to work with us.”
Earlier on Sunday, the governor slammed the administration over not communicating with local officials about the president’s trip to the border until the night before.
“This is just a photo op and a game of pretend,” Abbott told the media Sunday, according to the El Paso Times.
President Biden’s border visit today is to a sanitized version of El Paso.
He has no plans to enforce federal immigration laws.
Biden’s plan will only entice MORE illegal crossings.
Texas will continue our historic border mission to protect our state. pic.twitter.com/UelZRg0Zts
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) January 8, 2023
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- GOP plan takes page out of Stacey Abrams’ playbook to counter boost to Democrat turnout - January 31, 2023
- Biden repeats false Amtrak story for 8th time, vows to end COVID emergency May 11 - January 31, 2023
- ‘Hardcore agree’: Actor Zachary Levi stirs up leftist hornet’s nest claiming Pfizer a ‘danger’ to the world - January 30, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.