After brief hosting gig, NBA All-Star Charles Barkley calls out CNN for being ‘full of s**t’

Suggestions that his stint at CNN was canceled had former NBA All-Star Charles Barkley calling out the “full of sh*t” network.

(Video: The Mike Missanelli Podcast)

The notion of being a team player appeared nowhere in sight for the athlete-turned-commentator during a discussion on “The Mike Missanelli Podcast” Thursday. After a reported “limited series” run as co-host of CNN’s “King Charles” came to an end, Barkley balked at the notion he had been canceled.

“You know the type of boneheads I work with?” posited the former player, referencing network executives and not his co-host Gayle King.

“First of all, it wasn’t canceled…I talk to Gayle all the time. They haven’t told us we were canceled. That’s how stupid these people are,” he continued tearing into the decision-makers at CNN. “I was always only gonna do that for a short period of time and then I was gonna go back to the NBA. So, me and Gayle, like — this is how boneheaded these people are I work with.”

A year before its final installment in April, CNN had announced the “King Charles” show as part of then-CEO Chris Licht’s efforts to right the ship. He had said at the time, “This show will be an exciting new way we are delivering culturally relevant programming and unique perspectives to our audience, from two incredibly dynamic personalities.”

Meanwhile, Barkley had referred to CNN as a “sh*t show” at the time and referred to his joining the lineup as “jumping on the Titanic.”

“But that just shows you how full of sh*t the whole thing is with CNN,” the basketballer added to Missanelli. “Like, we had new people take over and we’re in disarray. Like, yesterday they put an article out that CNN had its worst ratings ever since like 1992.”

Whether done for good or simply done for now, in April CNN said of the program’s end, “King Charles has come to an end of its limited run as we announced when it launched last fall and was a great addition to CNN’s lineup, with the youngest, most affluent, and most diverse P2+ audience in its cable news time period.”

In the meantime, viewers will have to look elsewhere on the network to get the kind of analysis offered by Barkley that included him seemingly agreeing with the notion presented by Missanelli that former President Donald Trump was a racist as the host sought understanding on why support for the GOP leader was growing among black voters.

Barkley, who’d previously said, “If I see a black person walking around with Trump’s mug shot, I’m gonna punch him in the face,” referred to the support as “an interesting dynamic” before knocking both the Democratic and Republican Parties for failing to address the needs of black and poor communities.

Kevin Haggerty

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles