College student found in dorm stopped breathing for 23 min., has horrific injuries, and no one knows why

A female Kentucky college student was found unresponsive in her dorm room with deep lacerations, bruising, and her acrylic nails ripped off and no one has a clue why.

This happened in November of last year at Asbury University. Isabella Willingham, 21, was reportedly not breathing for 23 minutes which makes it a miracle she is even alive. The student’s parents want to know what happened and are still waiting for answers following months of investigation by authorities.

When the girl was found in her room on Nov. 27, she was rushed to the University of Kentucky Hospital and spent two weeks in intensive care, according to Lex18.

“Willingham’s parents, who had not heard from her for hours after she returned to campus after Thanksgiving, received a worrying phone call from her dorm resident director,” the New York Post reported.

(Video Credit: New York Post)

“At 11 that night, we get a call from the resident director of her dorm, and she tells us that Bella is in an ambulance on her way to the emergency room, that she had been found unresponsive on the floor of her room by her roommate,” her father, Andy Willingham, told Lex18.

They were informed by paramedics that their daughter did not breathe for 23 minutes. That claim is hard to believe to say the least.

“Time is very important when an unconscious person is not breathing. Permanent brain damage begins after only 4 minutes without oxygen, and death can occur as soon as 4 to 6 minutes later,” MedlinePlus notes on its government website.

The girl’s injuries were horrific. She had deep, penetrating cuts to her legs. In photos shared by Lex18, her legs and hands are swollen and she has extensive bruising. And then there is the little matter of all her acrylic fingernails being torn off. There is no word if she sustained brain damage or what she says happened that night.

“The Jessamine County Sheriff’s Office confirmed and documented Willingham’s multiple injuries and launched an investigation to determine what happened to the student,” the New York Post noted.

Andy Willingham, the student’s father, was incensed when police allegedly told him his daughter’s injuries were probably caused by falling out of her bunk bed. It’s hard to fathom how falling out of bed could rip off her nails or cut her so deeply.

“There’s no way these could’ve been caused by anything other than someone doing something to her,” the irate father told Lex18.

The father doesn’t believe that the university took what happened to his daughter seriously. He claims they waited more than a week to even notify students that there could be a threat on campus.

“As a parent, I want to know if there’s a possibility of someone coming into the school or campus being potentially dangerous,” the concerned father told the media outlet.

Andy Willingham is furious that the university hasn’t asked anyone to come forward with information about the incident.

“I contacted them and said this is not okay, you have to give a detail so if someone knows something, they’ll come forward, and the school’s response to me was that we felt like they had done everything they could do,” the father, who is an alumnus of the school, stated.

A spokesman for Asbury University asserts that the investigation into what happened to the girl is “ongoing.”

“We are unable to provide any updates or specific information at this time. Asbury’s priority remains the safety and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff,” the university’s statement contended.

It also advised that “additional inquiries” should be forwarded to the Jessamine County Sheriff’s Office.


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles