‘I heard you missed me’: Melania stuns in first appearance in over a month to promote foster care initiative

First lady Melania Trump made her first public appearance in over a month to deliver remarks this Thursday at the White House.

The missing first lady showed up in the public spotlight to specifically promote her foster care initiative, Fostering the Future.

She was led on stage by President Donald Trump:

“I heard you missed me. Here I am,” she said as she took the stage.

She proceeded to announce that the Trump administration has accepted a $2 million gift from IndyCar and Fox Corp. This money will now be forwarded to Fostering the Future to pay for scholarships for foster kids who are slated to attend either Indiana University or Purdue University.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Today, Indiana University and Purdue University join Fostering the Future’s growing, coast-to-coast alliance of leading academic institutions,” she said. “Congratulations, and thank you. Together, they expand a national network of 26 universities that prepare our foster youth to shape America’s growth.”

“Tomorrow’s leaders are sitting in classrooms today, including those growing up in foster care. Their capability is no less remarkable. Fostering the Future elevates America’s youth based on merit and talent, lifting them beyond economic circumstance and every other condition that may limit opportunity,” she added.

The first lady’s White House appearance came days ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix race through D.C. that’s scheduled for Sunday.

During her appearance, the first lady was gifted a specially designed helmet from IndyCar’s drivers. It was red, white, and blue with a star on top, in addition to her name, “BE BEST,” and “Fostering the Future.”

ADVERTISEMENT

According to The Hill, the first lady was joined on stage by Roger Penske, the founder and chair of the Penske Corporation and owner of IndyCar.

“Thinking about the young people that are here today, they’re going to be the benefactors, have an education, build a career, and I might say, many of them might be the leaders of our country and our business,” Penske said.

All this comes almost a full year after President Donald Trump signed an executive order last November promoting the Fostering the Future initiative.

The order vowed to deal with problems such as children remaining in care for years, overburdened caseworkers, outdated information systems, and policies in some places that discourage qualified families (including those with religious beliefs or traditional views on biology) from becoming foster or adoptive parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, earlier this year in April, the first lady lobbied Congress to pass several bills that’d modernize the John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood, often called the Chafee program.

Created in 1999, this is the main federal program that provides grants to states to help current and former foster youth — typically ages 14–21, or older in some states — transition to adulthood and independence.

“As a package, the reforms put a bipartisan focus on improving state utilization of Chafee funds, strengthening coordination between child welfare agencies and federal housing programs, expanding access to educational support and workforce training opportunities, improving support for foster youth who are parents or soon-to-be parents, expanding access to legal services, and prioritizing support networks and permanency for foster youth,” according to the House Way & Means Committee.

Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles