One hundred and thirty days into the never-ending Writers’ Guild strike, actress and talk show host Drew Barrymore has had enough and is announcing the return of her show without her writers.
It’s a bit of a surprise because Barrymore had previously backed out of hosting an MTV award show as a show of solidarity with the writers’ strike. But Sunday on Instagram, she stated that “The Drew Barrymore Show” would return on September 18th for its fourth season.
“I made a choice to walk away from the MTV, film and television awards because I was the host and it had a direct conflict with what the strike was dealing with, which was studios, streamers, film, and television,” Barrymore wrote on Instagram.
“It was also in the first week of the strike, and so I did what I thought was the appropriate thing at the time to stand in solidarity with the writers,” she asserted.
i am so curious what drew barrymore thinks ‘astute’ means pic.twitter.com/2CHPDaY9jy
— andy™ (@andylevy) September 11, 2023
The host made the point that her show wrapped its third season before the strike began.
“I am also making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it, but this is bigger than just me. I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind,” Barrymore proclaimed.
“We launched live in a global pandemic. Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real-time. I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience,” she declared.
“I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air. And so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility,” Barrymore stated.
‘THE DREW BARRYMORE SHOW’ is set to return despite having no writers due to the studio’s refusal to pay them fairly.
— DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) September 10, 2023
Despite Barrymore’s assurances to the Writers’ Guild, the WGA told The Hollywood Reporter that her show was deemed “struck” and Union members will be picketing outside her studios in New York City on Monday and Tuesday.
The @DrewBarrymoreTV Show is a WGA covered, struck show that is planning to return without its writers. The Guild has, and will continue to, picket struck shows that are in production during the strike. Any writing on “The Drew Barrymore Show” is in violation of WGA strike rules.
— Writers Guild of America, East (@WGAEast) September 10, 2023
“It has stayed off the air since the strike began on May 2nd but has now (unfortunately) decided to return without its writers. The Guild has, and will continue to, picket any struck show that continues production for the duration of the strike,” the spokesperson vowed.
“The View” is also being met with picketers on Monday due to the show’s return earlier this month.
Picketers in NYC outside CBS this morning in protest of Drew Barrymore’s return to her daytime talk show – minus writers, she says, but the WGA says it’s in the defiance of the writers strike pic.twitter.com/dz7d8M75Oz
— Sean Piccoli (@spiccoli) September 11, 2023
“I own this choice”: On Instagram this weekend, Drew Barrymore announced the return of her namesake talk show.
The striking Writers Guild of America has added “The Drew Barrymore Show” to its East Coast picketing locations for Monday and Tuesday. pic.twitter.com/o3Fx5TJcz5
— The Recount (@therecount) September 11, 2023
“Per WGA strike rules, most daytime talk shows are allowed to continue to run because a lot of them do not employ writers who are a part of the union. Two exceptions include The Drew Barrymore Show and The Talk, which went dark at the start of the strike and continues to play reruns, as do the late-night talk shows. Other daytime shows that also are airing originals include Tamron Hall and Live With Kelly and Mark,” The Hollywood Reporter noted.
During another writers’ strike in 2007, a number of hosts decided to return to their show two months after the strike began. Those included Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Jay Leno, Conan O’Brien, and Jimmy Kimmel, according to The New York Times.
Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- NJ implements ‘See Something, Say Something’ roadway campaign, spiking resident terrorism fears - September 23, 2023
- Doocy trolls Fetterman and Dems, asks KJP if Biden would wear ‘shorts and a hoodie’ to work - September 23, 2023
- Can AI thwart greedy porch pirates? UPS is already trying it out to ‘optimize delivery outcomes’ - September 23, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.