A top Department of Justice official is leaving the administration to pursue legal work related to the upcoming midterm elections.
“Ed Martin has been with me from the very beginning, and done an incredible job as an Attorney, Director of the Weaponization Working Group, and the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia,” President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social Friday afternoon.
“Ed is now leaving to go outside to fight Legal Battles for the upcoming Midterm Election, and the Presidential Election of 2028. I know he will do an outstanding job, ensure Free, Fair, and Honest Elections, and strongly advance our Constitutional Rights. Good luck Ed!” he added.
Proud to serve.
Fight Fight Fight. https://t.co/9Nc0PTuf6c— Eagle Ed Martin (@EagleEdMartin) August 21, 2026
Conservatives celebrated Martin’s departure on the basis that the election work he’ll be performing will be vital.
“PATRIOT! This is the same guy who relentlessly pursued corrupt AG Letitia James,” one conservative tweeted. “He’s going to be vital to block Democrat cheating.”
Last year, Martin famously posed in pictures right outside New York Attorney General Letitia James’ Brooklyn home as part of an effort to draw attention to the fraud she’d committed in her real estate dealings.
Ed Martin, the special prosecutor investigating Letitia James for mortgage fraud, has been SPOTTED outside her home in NYC
The walls are closing in
pic.twitter.com/j0L8ZSIXWa— Johnny Midnight ⚡️ (@its_The_Dr) August 16, 2025
Martin was reportedly also involved in the investigation of disgraced former CIA Director John Brennan, disgraced former FBI Director James Comey, and current Federal Reserve Board of Governors member Lisa Cook.
While working at the DOJ, Martin also sent letters to Democrat Rep. Robert Garcia and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer warning them that they were under investigation for controversial past comments they’d made.
“During a live interview with CNN, when asked how Democrats can stop Elon Musk, you spoke clearly: ‘What the American public wants is for us to bring actual weapons to this bar fight. This is an actual fight for democracy,'” he wrote to Garcia.
“This sounds to some like a threat to Mr. Musk – an appointed representative of President Donald Trump who you call a ‘dick’ – and government staff who work for him. Their concerns have led to this inquiry,” the letter continued.
👀 Democrat Rep. Robert Garcia says Democrats need to fight Elon Musk with “actual weapons,” says it needs to be done for “democracy.”
“I think is really important, and what the American public wants is for us to bring actual weapons to this bar fight.”
“This is an actual fight… pic.twitter.com/tyMYHYj4gn
— 🇺🇲Salty Texan (@texan_maga) February 12, 2025
In his letter to Schumer, Martin asked the senator to clarify comments made on March 4, 2020, about the Supreme Court’s conservative justices.
“I want to tell you Gorsuch, I want to tell you Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price,” Schumer had said. “You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.”
Chuck Schumer in 2020: “I want to tell you Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you.”
And then a Democrat tried to assassinate Justice Kavanaugh.
But those Maga Republicans…. pic.twitter.com/ZrJvufNhkP
— Freyja™ (@FreyjaTarte) October 31, 2022
However, Attorney General Todd Blanche allegedly didn’t appreciate all of Martin’s efforts and “stunts.”
Blanche “grew frustrated with Martin’s undisciplined handling of investigations,” The Washington Post alleged, citing an anonymous source.
Yet despite this alleged frustration, Blanche seemed genuinely happy for Martin’s transition out of the DOJ. In a tweet, the attorney general even went so far as to refer to Martin as a “patriot.”
Ed Martin is a patriot who loves this nation. We thank him for his service to the Department, @POTUS and the American people. We look forward to seeing his future successes!
— Attorney General Todd Blanche (@AGToddBlanche) August 21, 2026
Prior to joining the Trump administration, Martin reportedly defended several Jan. 6 defendants.
When Martin later joined the administration, the president nominated him to serve as chief prosecutor in D.C.– a role now held by Jeanine Pirro — but the nomination was blocked by turncoats like Sen. Thom Tillis.
🚨BREAKING🚨 GOP Senator Thom Tillis says he OPPOSES the nomination of Ed Martin for DC US Attorney.
“At this point I’ve indicated to the White House I wouldn’t support his nomination.” pic.twitter.com/PqJOiJc4PO
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) May 6, 2025
- Republican lawmakers have beef with Trump, defend ranchers over latest tariff relief - August 22, 2026
- Trump: Ed Martin leaving DOJ to focus on upcoming election ‘legal battles’ - August 22, 2026
- O’Keefe puts Alaska polling station to the test: Giant fail - August 21, 2026
Comment
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.
