Members of the public, probably including Kenny Rock, are furious over reports that actor Will Smith’s punishment for slapping fellow actor Chris Rock at this year’s Oscars is a 10-year ban from the Academy Awards.
Some critics say he deserved a far “harsher” punishment. The overwhelming majority, however, argue that he deserved far less.
Word of the ban came after the Board of Governors for the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences met early Friday morning to discuss the matter.
In a public statement published afterward, the board announced that “Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards” for 10 years, beginning Friday.
The Academy have released a statement on “that slap”. Thoughts? Surprised they haven’t taken the Oscar back or no? pic.twitter.com/ZQNygkLTyJ
— OC Movies, TV & Streaming Reviews (@OC_Movies) April 8, 2022
“The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage,” the board wrote.
“During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.”
The first group of critics has railed against the punishment for being too light, arguing that Smith deserved to be charged with assault or, at the very least, stripped of his Oscar. Though just to be clear, an assault charge would have to come from the police, not the Academy Awards.
Somewhat included among these critics is Kenny Rock, who told the Los Angeles Times earlier this week — prior to the punishment being announced — that he can barely stomach watching the viral clip of his brother being slapped.
“It eats at me watching it over and over again because you’ve seen a loved one being attacked and there’s nothing you can do about it,” he told the Times.
“Every time I’m watching the videos, it’s like a rendition that just keeps going over and over in my head. My brother was no threat to him and you just had no respect for him at that moment. You just belittled him in front of millions of people that watch the show.”
He added that he wanted the board to strip Smith of his award.
See the public’s reaction below:
Money doesn’t buy class. He should have been charged with assault! If any one of us would have done this, we’d be still sitting in jail waiting for bail. Only 17 million viewers as witnesses! https://t.co/hNelBHR1Cf
— Rosa McLeod (@Cultgoddess13) April 8, 2022
Will Smith should be charged with assault- that is what it was in front on millions of viewers. It is such a shame because Will is such a talented actor. I even think he is genuine in his regret. Still needs to be charged- other persons would be
— Kelly (@Kelly24838738) April 9, 2022
He should have been arrested for what any other”citizen”would have been charged with, assault! How and why did”this guy” get away with PUBLICLY/LIVE T.V! assaulting another!..? Oh. It’s WILL SMITH!. MIB! W/ $ money and Movies. How nice it must be..to be invincible to THE LAW!
— Autumn P Torino (@TorinoAutumn) April 8, 2022
No matter what RACE he is, Will Smith screwed up big-time. The punishment is not sufficient to set an example and his #Oscar should have been revoked.
We learned after the fact, he refused to leave and took it anyway.
Shame on the @TheAcademy AND #WillSmith! #Hollywood elites!
— Carrie Kelly (@CarrieHKelly) April 9, 2022
The second group of critics has argued that there’s a contrast between the punishment received by Smith over a slap and the non-punishment received by the likes of Roman Polanski, Harvey Weinstein, and other men who’ve committed far more heinous crimes.
Undergirding this complaint is the belief that Smith is being targeted more harshly because of the color of his skin.
Though just to be clear, Weinstein’s currently in prison, and Polanski fled to Poland years ago while awaiting sentencing for having had sex with a minor.
Look (*Language warning):
BREAKING: Will Smith banned by the Hollywood Academy, 12 days after he slapped Chris Rock.
It took the same Academy 40 years to ban Roman Polanski after he was convicted of raping a child.
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) April 8, 2022
Since The Academy wants to ban Will Smith for 10 years are they also going to ban known predators, domestic & work abusers, and sexual abusers that are still part of their roster? pic.twitter.com/DF2m9dFZg3
— TV Fanatic👑⚜️ (@TvKhaleesi) April 8, 2022
jared leto, harvey weinstein, woody allen, roman polanski, and casey affleck should have been banned from oscars. gone to prison for their crimes. send them to another planet alone. will smith? banned? for ten years? fuck you academy. white men privilege strikes. fuck you!
— Larry? Larry. (@LarentsAloud) April 9, 2022
I’m actually dumbfounded that the Academy decided to ban Will Smith for 10 years for a slap. There are multiple celebrities that I can think of who have never been banned that are sexual predators/take advantage of actresses and actors who don’t have as much notoriety as them. pic.twitter.com/mY3NxowfLU
— S. Wright (@BLKCultureProf) April 8, 2022
Gee… I wonder which One Will get BANNED from the #Oscars?
Oh yeah… ONLY the BLACK guy.
Sounds about White. Yeah, the other winners didn’t do anything as bad as Will Smith’s slap…that was way worse than what the other guys did? 🤦🏼♂️🤭 Really Oscar? Really? pic.twitter.com/aTL9d8VtBo
— Daniel Newman (@DanielNewman) April 9, 2022
But on the other hand, the Oscars continued to reward Polanski long after he’d fled.
Including in 2011:
Smith has, for his part, accepted his “sentence.”
“I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,” he said in a pithy statement following the board’s decision.
The Motion Picture Academy has banned Will Smith from all Academy events, including The Oscars, for 10 years over his slap of Chris Rock. Smith released a statement saying, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
— George Pennacchio (@abc7george) April 8, 2022
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- Statements from family members surrounding ruthless killing of bicycling police chief spark controversy - September 21, 2023
- Thousands of Canadians flood the streets to protect children as Trudeau and his minions fume - September 21, 2023
- Ilhan Omar wants the DOJ to focus on race even more - September 21, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.