Judge lifts Trump contempt ruling, still imposes six-figure fine

Former President Donald Trump has a week to comply with new orders from a judge who lifted a contempt ruling previously imposed on him.

New York Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron announced he will release Trump from being held in contempt during a hearing on Wednesday but imposed a condition for the new ruling.

The same judge ordered the contempt charge after Trump did not comply with a subpoena issued by New York Attorney General Letitia James to hand over his business records and was fined $10,000 a day until he complied. But on Wednesday, Engoron indicated he will lift the contempt ruling if Trump pays a $110,000 fine to the New York attorney general’s office and his legal team provides more information about the documents, according to CNBC.

“I want the fine paid,” Engoron said. “That fine is now $110,000.”

The deadline for compliance is set for May 20.

According to CNBC:

Trump and his lawyers have said they cannot locate documents sought by James as part of her civil investigation of the Trump Organization and its valuation of several real estate assets.

Engoron previously has said he was not satisfied with the explanations that Trump and the lawyers have given detailing their search for those documents.

 

The former president’s attorneys must provide “additional affidavits with more details about the searches for the documents, and the document retention and destruction policies of the Trump Organization” by the May 20 deadline, CNBC reported, adding that a “review of Trump documents by the digital forensics company HaystackID” also needs to be completed by then.

James responded to the news in a tweet declaring: “Our investigation into Donald Trump and the Trump Organization’s financial dealings will continue undeterred.”

Trump has argued that all documents had been turned over.

“To the best of my knowledge, (i) I do not have any of the documents requested in the subpoena dated December 1, 2021 in my personal possession; and (ii) if there are any documents responsive to the subpoena I believe they would be in the possession or custody of the Trump Organization,” Trump’s April 29 affidavit said.

“At all relevant times, I have authorized, and continue to authorize, the release of a responsive document to the Office of the Attorney General.”

DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE

If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.

Thank you for your donation!
Frieda Powers

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles