Report: Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones, discussing plans to use them on US

Claims of a threat of domestic drone strikes prompted allegations from a dictatorial regime that, of all things, corporate media was working with the government to “justify … military aggression.”

Late last week, President Donald Trump’s enforcement of America’s dominance in the Western Hemisphere, dubbed “The Donroe Doctrine,” found Cuba teetering on the edge. Officially out of oil and faced with the potential of an impending indictment against de facto leader Raúl Castro, the administration leaks found the communist nation accusing the government of building “a fraudulent case” against Cuba about planned drone strikes as an excuse to make a military move.

An Axios report over the weekend claimed, while citing anonymous officials, “Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones and recently began discussing plans to use them to attack the U.S. base at Guantanamo Bay, U.S. military vessels and possibly Key West, Fla., 90 miles north of Havana, according to classified intelligence shared with Axios.”

“When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it’s concerning,” said a “senior U.S. official,” according to the report. “It’s a growing threat.”

Likewise, in the wake of CIA Director John Ratcliffe visiting Cuba on Thursday, an anonymous CIA official told Axios, “Director Ratcliffe made clear that Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere.”

“The Western Hemisphere cannot be our adversaries’ playground,” added the official.

Taking umbrage with the report, Cuban Minister of Foreign Affairs Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla posted on X, “Without any legitimate excuse whatsoever, the #US government builds, day after day, a fraudulent case to justify the ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and the eventual military aggression.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Given the extent of negative coverage of Trump’s administration, the minister went on to make the absurd claim, “Specific media outlets play along, promoting slanders and leaking insinuations from the U.S. government itself. #Cuba neither threatens nor desires war. It defends peace and prepares itself to confront external aggression in the exercise of the right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the UN Charter.”

Leaks have been an ongoing issue for the White House, as even an email from Chief of Staff Susie Wiles reinforcing the policy against unauthorized communications with the media was leaked.

Meanwhile, as the apprehension of Venezuelan dictator Nicolás Maduro facilitated the halt in underpriced oil to Cuba, it remained possible that similar steps could be taken in the Caribbean Sea, as reports indicate a possible indictment of Castro as soon as Wednesday over his involvement in the downing of a plane in 1996 that killed three American citizens.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche offered little toward confirming or denying the possible indictment when he told Fox News host Martha MacCallum, “There’s absolutely no public information around any indictment that’s been leaked or discussed on various news outlets, and I assure you, and I assure the American people, that if and when there’s a time to talk about that, we will, obviously.”

ADVERTISEMENT

As for the foreign minister, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in an interview with NBC News regarding claims that an offer of $100 million in aid was untrue, “The Cuban regime is lying. They lie all the time. How can you say it’s not a real offer? We’ve made it to them privately and now publicly.”

Kevin Haggerty

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles