High school competition devolves into ‘public humiliation ritual for girls: ‘I just threw up’

A high school competition devolved into a “public humiliation ritual for girls” as a blue state’s opposition to Title IX protections made for an absurd award ceremony.

Since President Donald Trump’s return to the White House, he and his administration have worked to right many of the woke wrongs committed by his predecessor, including the spread of gender ideology. Saturday, despite already being slapped with a Justice Department lawsuit, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) once again sought to skirt Title IX by allowing the top-finishing girl to share the gold medal podium with the victorious boy masquerading as female.

Taking the top spot in the CIF Southern Section finals for long jump and triple jump, male athlete AB Hernandez was seen atop the podium as Katie McGuinness and Reese Hogan, the girl athletes who would have won the respective finals, were given the opportunity to stand beside him.

“If you have to create a shared podium for the boy competing in the girls’ event, you’ve already admitted you know he isn’t a girl and that his participation is unfair,” wrote former NCAA swimmer Riley Gaines, who herself had to contend with male athlete Leah Thomas being permitted to compete against women.

“At that point, you’re just seeking a public humiliation ritual for girls,” added Gaines as Tennessee Rep. Tim Burchett (R) reacted, “I just threw up.”

Prior to the competition, the CIF reintroduced a pilot program used in the 2025 state finals, allowing for shared podiums, and told parents in a May 16 letter, “The CIF values all our student-athletes, and we will continue to uphold our mission in providing students the opportunity to belong, connect and compete, while competing with California law and education code.”

ADVERTISEMENT

As previously reported, the decision by the California Department of Education (CDE) and CIF against compliance with the U.S. Department of Education’s call for enforcement of Title IX — which gave Hernandez the opportunity to win two state titles — resulted in a lawsuit from the Justice Department.

Assistant Attorney General Harmeet Dhillon said at the time, “Title IX was enacted over half a century ago to protect women and girls from discrimination. The Justice Department will not stand for policies that deprive girls of their hard-earned athletic trophies and ignore their safety on the field and in private spaces.”

“Young women should not have to sacrifice their rights to compete for scholarships, opportunities, and awards on the altar of woke gender ideology,” she added.

As a result of the latest victories at the Southern Section, Hernandez would next compete at the CIF preliminaries on May 23, ahead of another possible spot at the two-day state finals beginning May 29. Meanwhile, reactions continue to pour in with outrage that common sense has yet to prevail in saving girls’ sports, including musician John Rich, who wrote on X, “This is probably one of the most abusive things you could do to a young woman. Minimize her accomplishments, force her to stand and smile, and pretend it’s all ok…This is psychological abuse on display.”

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Haggerty

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles