Sleazy new Trump biopic shut out at Cannes Film Festival

The controversial film “The Apprentice,” which chronicles former President Donald Trump’s early years as a real estate developer, did not take home a single award over the weekend at the 77th annual Cannes Film Festival.

The biopic stars actor Sebastian Stan as Trump, with Maria Bakalova playing his first wife Ivana, who died in 2022 — the couple were married for 15 years and shared three children, Don Jr. Eric, and Ivanka.

The film includes a scene where Trump sexually assaults Ivana, and while it was reportedly well-received by attendees at Cannes when director Ali Abbasi premiered the film earlier in the week, its single nomination failed to deliver any accolades.

More from Variety:

The film, which earned an eight-minute standing ovation following its debut at the Cannes Film Festival on Monday, features a slew of unflattering scenes depicting Trump popping amphetamine pills, getting liposuction, having surgery to remove his bald spot, and, most controversially, a scene in which he violently throws his then-wife Ivana to the ground and proceeds to have nonconsensual sex with her.

 

The rape scene draws from Ivana’s 1990 divorce deposition, although she would eventually clarify that she was not criminally assaulted.

“During a deposition given by me in connection with my matrimonial case, I stated that my husband had raped me,” Ivana said after her divorce was finalized. “On one occasion during 1989, Mr. Trump and I had marital relations in which he behaved very differently toward me than he had during our marriage. As a woman, I felt violated, as the love and tenderness, which he normally exhibited towards me, was absent. I referred to this as a ‘rape,’ but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense.”

Trump‘s campaign has threatened legal action against the “garbage” film, alleging that it’s just more “election interference” by the left.

“We will be filing a lawsuit to address the blatantly false assertions from these pretend filmmakers,” Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung said in a statement. “This garbage is pure fiction which sensationalizes lies that have been long debunked. As with the illegal Biden Trials, this is election interference by Hollywood elites, who know that President Trump will retake the White House and beat their candidate of choice because nothing they have done has worked.”

“This ‘film’ is pure malicious defamation, should not see the light of day, and doesn’t even deserve a place in the straight-to-DVD section of a bargain bin at a soon-to-be-closed discount movie store, it belongs in a dumpster fire,” Cheung continued.

On Friday, Trump attorney David A. Warrington sent a cease-and-desist letter to the filmmakers, demanding that “all marketing, distribution, and publication” of the movie be halted.

“The Movie presents itself as a factual biography of Mr. Trump, yet nothing could be further from the truth,” Warrington wrote in the letter. “It is a concoction of lies that repeatedly defames President Trump and constitutes direct foreign interference in America’s elections.”

Tom Tillison

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles