‘Take the win’: Biden tells Netanyahu US will not take part in a counteroffensive against Iran

Following Iran’s unprecedented attack on Israel, President Joe Biden reportedly told Israel’s prime minister that the U.S. won’t provide any support for a counterattack.

He went on to suggest to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that a counterattack isn’t even necessary, arguing that Iran’s attack was a “win” for Israel because it did so little damage.

“You got a win; take the win,” he said, according to Axios.

News of him saying this prompted backlash on the social media platform X, with critics accusing the president of throwing Israel under the bus.

Look:

In fairness to the president, it was partly because of him that Iran managed to do so little damage in the first place.

“US forces intercepted more than 70 one-way attack drones and at least three ballistic missiles during Iran’s attack on Israel, according to two US officials familiar with the situation,” CNN has confirmed.

“The ballistic missiles were intercepted by warships in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, one of the officials said. Iran launched more than 100 ballistic missiles in total at Israel, according to a senior administration official.”

In a statement, the president admitted to having authorized the interceptions.

“At my direction, to support the defense of Israel, the U.S. military moved aircraft and ballistic missile defense destroyers to the region over the course of the past week,” he said. “Thanks to these deployments and the extraordinary skill of our servicemembers, we helped Israel take down nearly all of the incoming drones and missiles.”

Moving forward, the president plans to convene G7 leaders “to coordinate a united diplomatic response to Iran’s brazen attack.”

“My team will engage with their counterparts across the region. And we will stay in close touch with Israel’s leaders. And while we have not seen attacks on our forces or facilities today, we will remain vigilant to all threats and will not hesitate to take all necessary action to protect our people,”  he said in his statement.

Meanwhile, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Gilad Erdan, has called for a meeting of the United Nations Security Council so that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps can be designated a terrorist organization.

“The Iranian attack is a serious threat to global peace and security and I expect the Council to use every means to take concrete action against Iran,” he said in a statement.

As for Israel, an unnamed top official told Keshet 12, an Israeli news agency, that there will be a “significant response” to Iran’s attack, as reported by Reuters.

Iran for its part has warned of more attacks.

“Iranian army chief of staff Major General Mohammad Bagheri warned on television that ‘our response will be much larger than tonight’s military action if Israel retaliates against Iran’ and told Washington its bases could also be attacked if it helped Israel retaliate,” according to Reuters.

As previously reported, Iran attacked Israel this weekend because Israel killed one of its top generals during a strike earlier this month on its consulate in Syria.

“An Israeli airstrike that demolished Iran’s consulate in Syria on Monday killed two Iranian generals and five officers,” according to the Associated Press. “The strike appeared to signify an escalation of Israel’s targeting of military officials from Iran, which supports militant groups fighting Israel in Gaza, and along its border with Lebanon.”

Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles