Robert Card, the Maine man who killed 18 innocent people during a mass shooting last month, reportedly “likely” killed himself hours before his body was discovered.
“The postmortem interval based on rigor mortis and other physical signs indicate Mr. Card was deceased likely 8-12 hours before being located,” Maine’s chief medical examiner said in a statement Friday, according to CBS News.
Given that he committed the attack on Oct. 25th and was found deceased two days later, this suggests he was alive for at least 34 hours after the attack.
“That means he may have been alive and actively on the run for about a day and a half while law enforcement officers conducted a two-day manhunt for him following the Oct. 25 shootings,” Boston station WCVB notes.
New: Maine’s medical examiner office says gunman Robert Card likely killed himself 8-12 hours before he was located in the back of a trailer at a recycling company where he’d worked.
That would mean he was alive and hiding for most of the 2-day manhunt/lockdown around Lewiston. pic.twitter.com/T9lXDCF2gf
— Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs (@NickAtNews) November 3, 2023
As previously reported, Card was found in the woods around 7:45 pm on Friday, Oct. 27th near a recycling center in Lisbon, which is approximately eight miles from where the attack occurred in Lewiston, Maine.
As also previously reported, the Oct. 25th mass shooting began before 7:15 p.m. By 8:53 p.m., the Lewiston Maine Police Department had reported on Facebook that there was “an active shooter incident” in the town.
According to various reports, the gunman first entered the Sparetime Recreation bowling alley and opened fire, killing a number of people.
The gunman then left and traveled to Schemengees Bar and Grille, which is about four miles away and opened fire, killing more people.
— BPR based (@DumpstrFireNews) October 26, 2023
One bowler at Sparetime Recreation, a guy named Brandon, told the Associated Press he heard 10 shots and thought the first one was a balloon popping.
“I had my back turned to the door. And as soon as I turned and saw it was not a balloon — he was holding a weapon — I just booked it. I was putting on my bowling shoes when it started. I’ve been barefoot for five hours,” he said.
Schemengees co-owner Kathy Lebel told the Sun Journal that it’d been “cornhole” night at the bar.
“It was just a fun night playing cornhole. … It’s the last thing you’re expecting, right? I still feel like this whole thing is a nightmare,” she said.
As of the morning after the shooting, Card remained on the loose, though the police had identified a possible suspect whom they described as being “armed and dangerous.”
“A police bulletin identified Robert Card, 40, as a person of interest in the attack. … Card was described as a firearms instructor believed to be in the Army Reserve and assigned to a training facility in Saco, Maine,” according to the Associated Press.
“The document, circulated to law enforcement officials, said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks in the summer of 2023. It did not provide details about his treatment or condition but said Card had reported ‘hearing voices and threats to shoot up’ the military base. A telephone number listed for Card in public records was not in service,” the AP reported.
Local police did find Card’s car, a white Subaru Outback, abandoned in Lisbon, which is where they later found his body.
Shooter’s vehicle. White Subaru Outback! pic.twitter.com/XUQgRzlW9q
— LeoTerrell (@TheLeoTerrell) October 26, 2023
Victims were reportedly taken to Central Maine Medical Center, which reported on its website at the time that it was “reacting to a mass casualty, mass shooter event” and coordinating with other hospitals to take care of the sudden influx of patients.
“Dozens of stretchers and medical staff were lined up at the Emergency Department entrance at CMMC,” the Sun Journal reported.
“As armed security stood outside the emergency entrance to the hospital, people waited to give their names to hospital staff as emergency contacts for those who may have already been brought in,” according to the Journal.
Victims of the Oct. 25th mass shooting were reportedly relieved but still still searching for answers after Card’s body was found.
“It is relieving so that the community itself can definitely move on without the fear of him out there, but it is also sad because we have so many questions left unanswered,” survivor Tammy Asselin told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins.
Asselin was reportedly separated from her 10-year-old daughter during the shooting. Thankfully, her daughter survived. Her cousin, Tricia Asselin, did not.
“I know it does give my daughter some peace to know that he has been caught because that was a fear of hers that he’s still out there,” she said.
DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE
If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.
- Race and gender identity will factor in when students misbehave in Portland public schools - December 6, 2023
- Billionaire demands Harvard, UPenn, MIT presidents step down over genocide of Jews controversy - December 6, 2023
- ‘Intimately involved’: Turns out Joe Biden was emailing with Hunter’s business partner on alias account - December 6, 2023
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.