Conspiracy theorist and provocateur extraordinaire Alex Jones just got a slight break in the hefty defamation costs he owes.
Four years ago, a Texas jury in Austin awarded Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, the parents of deceased Sandy Hook victim Jesse Lewis, about $50 million total in compensatory and punitive damages for the devastating lies that Jones had told about the Sandy Hook mass shooting.
On Friday, the Texas Third Court of Appeals reduced the total damages owed by a whopping $43 million, meaning Jones now only owes about $7 million.
Texas Appeals Court Slashes Alex Jones Sandy Hook Award.
A Texas appeals court on Friday sharply reduced the nearly $50 million judgment against Alex Jones in the Sandy Hook case brought by parents Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis.
The Third Court of Appeals in Austin cut… pic.twitter.com/xRV4fQv5wR
— Girl patriot 🙏 🇺🇸 🦅 (@Girlpatriot1974) August 22, 2026
The court reduced the damages owed after finding that a trial court judge had improperly permitted the two parents to amend their damages petition over a month after the jury had already ruled against Jones in 2022. The new damages sought were over the statutory $750,000 cap.
Chief Justice Darlene Byrne wrote that “the elements of cap-busting go beyond all these elements in requiring findings of injury to a disabled individual, which includes findings about the mental or emotional conditions of the plaintiffs as well as the effect of appellants’ actions on the plaintiffs’ mental condition,” according to Courthouse News Service.
Jones celebrated the ruling by vowing to appeal “the whole thing” to the Supreme Court.
“We will now appeal that to the Supreme Court that’s already signaled that they’re going to overturn the whole thing,” he said in a livestream posted to X. “Then there’s going to be a major judicial investigations to the state judicial board.”
🚨BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Texas Appellate Court Overturns Alex Jones/Sandy Hook Show Trial Verdict!
In The Unanimous Verdict By Democrat Judges, The Court Stated No Evidence Was Shown That Jones Or His Supporters Committed The Acts That Are Claimed
Jones & His Legal Team Now Intend… pic.twitter.com/Advph1AGmq
— Alex Jones (@RealAlexJones) August 21, 2026
For years, Jones has been arguing that the suits against him were part of a weaponized effort to silence him.
However, Jones did admittedly develop a bad reputation over the lies and misinformation he spread about the Sandy Hook shooting, which allegedly played a role in several random people hassling and harassing the families of the Sandy Hook victims.
Current Secretary of State Marco Rubio famously got into it with Jones during a 2018 encounter in the halls of Congress, where Rubio was a senator at the time.
Jones was reportedly ranting at Rubio about being banned from social media platforms when the then-senator snapped.
“Get your hand off me. Don’t touch me again, man,” Rubio said. “I don’t know who you are.”
Alex Jones confronts frat boy Marco Rubio.
Rubio says he will physically take care of Alex Jones after Jones put his hands on Rubio. pic.twitter.com/IpcHs3KaFl— FreeThinkerFitness (@FreeThinkerFit) September 28, 2023
Jones then claimed that Rubio was about to get him arrested.
“You’re not going to get arrested,” Rubio fired back. “I’ll take care of it myself.”
This prompted Jones to then take Rubio out of context.
“Rubio just threatened to physically take care of me,” he said before continuing to instigate. “Look at him, he’s so mad. You’re not going to silence me. You’re not going to silence America. You are a little gangster thug.”
Dovetailing back to the Sandy Hook case, Jones still has over $1 billion that he owes to the families of other victims.
At the time of the 2022 ruling, Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk, since deceased, came to his defense:
Alex Jones acknowledged he was wrong, repeatedly, and is ordered to pay $1 billion.
Meanwhile the largest fine paid by a banking executive responsible for the 2008 financial collapse was $67 million. Who hurt more people?
— Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) October 13, 2022
The good news for Jones is that none of the families owed money have collected anything from him yet, as he’s continued to fight them in court.
Comment
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.
