Disgusted fmr. record-holding US sniper has scathing Memorial Day message for Joe Biden

A former record-holding sniper’s Memorial Day message set disrespect from the president squarely in his sights: “I don’t believe I could’ve held my tongue.”

Amid barbecues, parades, beach trips and fireworks, it’s often too easy for Americans to forget that the unofficial start to summer is a somber holiday. So, after his own struggles with PTSD and the first-hand experience of a fellow veteran’s tragic end, former U.S. Army Sgt. Nicholas Ranstad was less than thrilled with ongoing gaslighting while little has actually been accomplished for service members.

Specifically, the sniper, who once held the record for the longest kill by an American in Afghanistan at a distance of 1.28 in 2008, spoke with the Daily Mail’s Wills Robinson about President Joe Biden’s behavior during the dignified transfer of the 13 service members killed at the Abbey Gate outside Kabul’s airport in 2021.”

“I watched him look at his watch the first time while the first soldier, draped in the flag, was transported,” said Ranstad. “He never saluted anyone, then kept looking at his watch.”

“I truly do not know how the parents didn’t confront him on the tarmac. I don’t believe I could’ve held my tongue,” the sniper contended.

The insult was further compounded recently with the release of former White House press secretary Jen Psaki’s memoir, “Say More,” in which her account claiming “the president looked at his watch only after the ceremony had ended,” was met with massive pushback that forced the MSNBC host to recant.

“I felt it was so disgusting. I felt she gave such a backhanded apology, plus she knows her audience so she gives two s*** about what anyone thinks,” contended Ranstad. “I’m irked just remembering that day. It’s sad that it took backlash for her to retract her quotes.”

“If I was a family member of one of the fallen I’d sue the s*** out of her,” he added.

The soldier’s take on Washington, D.C. wasn’t all bad as he pointed to the passage of the PACT Act that expanded benefits through Veterans Affairs for exposure to burn pits, Agent Orange and the like. However, he sniped at the division that saw too few similar successes, “It seems like a lot of bill introductions, but nothing seems to be getting passed.”

Ranstad had met then-Vice President Biden in 2011 alongside his spotter Alex Simpson, who was being cared for at the time in Walter Reed Medical Center after suffering paralysis during his second tour in Afghanistan.

“After my deployment, I started noticing it,” he expressed of his own “cliché” PTSD symptoms. “There was a stigma then and it’s still running through the ranks like a virus.”

“I’ve seen so many soldiers thinking they’re mentally ill and I tell them, ‘No you were injured,'” remarked Ranstad.

“In my experience,” he told the outlet, “I felt like a dart board for pharmaceuticals. The doctors and therapists were throwing darts and seeing what stuck. They gave me something one time and it made me feel more depressed and suicidal than ever before in my life.”

“I told my therapist and she said, ‘Ohh, we need to get you off that immediately,” the veteran recounted. “I said, ‘No s***,’ and she put me on some other s*** that didn’t work. They didn’t even tell me about the withdrawals.”

Failings within the system were also addressed as Ranstad recounted the events that led to his arrest after his Marine veteran friend Sean Miller had committed suicide. He told the Mail how they had met in therapy for PTSD and became good friends as Miller sought permanent disability status. “But at the same time, the VA was jerking him around. He was getting exhausted with the process.”

In May 2019, a concerning text from Miller led Ranstad to make the nearly six-hour drive to his home where, after climbing through an unlocked window after not getting a response, he discovered the former Marine had shot himself.

Firing four rounds from his own gun into the floor in distress and his presence at the scene had led to his arrest during which he was well attended to, “They (the guards) were quite hospitable to me in the jail. Even the bosses came in to check in on me and sit with me to see if I needed anything, which I thought was weird.”

It took 13 months before the charges against Ranstad would be dropped.

Kevin Haggerty


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles