Former FBI Director James Comey thinks he is “in line” to benefit from the Justice Department’s new “Anti-Weaponization Fund.”
Speaking with CNN’s Jake Tapper, the disgraced former FBI chief remarked that he could file a claim to get a cut of the $1.776 billion that was set up to settle President Donald Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS. While Democrats have melted down over what they claim is a “slush fund,” the compensation is intended to go to those who claim they were wrongfully targeted by the Biden administration.
“I first thought it was a piece from The Onion because it can’t be serious,” Comey said on “The Lead.”
‘I first thought it was a piece from The Onion because it can’t be serious. It appears that they’re serious… I’m guessing I’ll be in line. I hope I’ll be ahead of those who savagely beat police officers and sacked the Capitol.’ Former FBI Director and Trump foe James Comey on… pic.twitter.com/fzii6rHl2k
— The Lead CNN (@TheLeadCNN) May 18, 2026
“It appears that they’re serious,” Comey continued. “It’s to compensate people who’ve been targeted by the Justice Department for, they say, personal, political or ideological reasons. So I’m guessing I’ll be in line. I hope I’ll be ahead of those who savagely beat police officers and sacked the Capitol.”
“Are you going to apply?” Tapper asked.
“Well, I’ll talk to my lawyers, but it certainly sounds intended for someone like me,” said Comey, who faces a second indictment after a social media post of seashells arranged to look like the numbers “86 47.”
“I don’t think that that’s how it’s intended. But I understand what you’re saying,” Tapper noted.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, who testifies on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, announced that the fund will “have the power to issue formal apologies and monetary relief owed to claimants,” and there is “no partisan requirement” to file a claim.
“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement. “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”
Comey commented about the fund during a “Good Morning America” segment as well.
“Yeah, if I put it in my next novel, I’m sure my editor would strike it out and say it’s crazy,” he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos.
“It just can’t be the way we operate. We can’t set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who’ve committed crimes. It just isn’t the way we are. It’s not consistent with our values,” he claimed. “Eventually, the Department of Justice will right itself, but we’re gonna have to ride out a hard two years.”
- James Comey says he could file a claim tied to Trump’s $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ initiative - May 19, 2026
- GOP goes after blue state for billions in COVID-era unemployment debt dumped on businesses - May 19, 2026
- Dana White says gnats at Trump’s White House Rose Garden dinner give him pause about outdoor venue - May 19, 2026
Comment
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.
