Judge forces furious Trump to sit for deposition to defend himself against rape accuser

Former President Donald Trump is raging mad over a judge’s decision ordering him to sit for a deposition as per columnist E. Jean Carroll’s defamation suit against him.

As previously reported, Carroll has alleged that Trump raped her in a Bergdorf Goodman department store in the mid-1990s. Her suit, filed in 2019, claims that his subsequent denial of the alleged rape harmed her reputation.

Yet in a 400+ word statement issued late Wednesday evening through Truth Social, the former president called Carroll’s accusation “a complete con job” and suggested she’s the one who’s harmed his reputation.

“This ‘Ms. Bergdorf Goodman’ case is a complete con job, and our legal system in this Country, but especially in New York State (just look at Peekaboo James), is a broken disgrace. You have to fight for years, and spend a fortune, in order to get your reputation back from liars, cheaters, and hacks,” he said.

He continued by claiming he has no clue who Carroll even is, reiterating again that her accusation against him is just another “hoax” and “lie,” and stating unequivocally that she isn’t even his “type.”

“I don’t know this woman, have no idea who she is, other than it seems she got a picture of me many years ago, with her husband, shaking my hand on a reception line at a celebrity charity event. She completely made up a story that I met her at the doors of this crowded New York City Department Store and, within minutes, ‘swooned’ her,” he said.

“It is a Hoax and a lie, just like all the other Hoaxes that have been played on me for the past seven years. And, while I am not supposed to say it, I will. This woman is not my type! She has no idea what day, what week, what month, what year, or what decade this so-called ‘event’ supposedly took place. The reason she doesn’t know is because it never happened, and she doesn’t want to get caught up with details or facts that can be proven wrong,” Trump added.

Read the rest of the statement here.

The statement came hours after U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan denied a request from Trump to pause the defamation suit as his appeals run through the courts.

“Judge Lewis Kaplan said the lawsuit wasn’t over yet and as they wait for a federal appeals court to rule on a key element of the case, ‘completing those depositions – which have already been delayed for years – would impose no undue burden on Mr. Trump, let alone any irreparable injury,'” as reported by CNN.

“The defendant should not be permitted to run the clock out on plaintiff’s attempt to gain a remedy for what allegedly was a serious wrong,” Kaplan reportedly wrote, adding that Carroll would face “substantial injury” from any more delays.

He cited “the lengthy appeal process, which has already taken 20 months and is still not over, and the ages of Carroll and Trump, who are both in their 70s. Carroll’s deposition is scheduled for this Friday,” according to CNN.

He also slammed “Trump’s efforts to delay the lawsuit and said his production of ‘virtually’ no documents was’ inexcusable.'”

Carroll was, for her part, thrilled by the decision.

“We are pleased that Judge Kaplan agreed with our position onto to stay discovery in this case. We look forward to filing our case under the Adult Survivors Act and moving forward to trial with all dispatch,” her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, reportedly said.

Signed by New York Gov. Kathy Hochul back in May, the Adult Survivors Act creates “a one-year lookback window for survivors of sexual assault that occurred when they were over the age of 18 to sue their abusers regardless of when the abuse occurred.”

Carroll plans to use this lookback window, which starts on Nov. 24th, to sue Trump again — this time for battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Her hope is to try both the defamation case and the battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress case at the same time, according to Insider.

“In our view, because … the facts between the two cases overlap to such a significant degree, we believe that there is no reason why both actions could not be tried together starting on February 6, 2023,” Kaplan reportedly wrote in a letter to Judge Kaplan (no relation) two months ago.

Trump has voiced displeasure at this idea.

“[T]here can be no reasonable dispute that permitting Plaintiff to effectively amend her complaint to include two additional causes of action — namely, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress — would be extraordinarily prejudicial to Defendant,” his attorney, Alina Habba, wrote in a motion filed last month.

“This is particularly true in light of the fact that Plaintiff’s proposed consolidation would not occur until mid-November — after discovery has been completed. To permit Plaintiff to drastically alter the scope and subject matter of this case at such time would severely prejudice Defendant’s rights. Therefore, Plaintiff’s request must be disregarded in its entirety.”

DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE

If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.

Thank you for your donation!
Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles