Thanks to policy of Los Angeles DA, taxpayers pay for funeral of cop killer

Thanks to a policy instituted by Los Angeles’ radically far-left, Soros-funded district attorney, George Gascón, a two-time cop killer who was killed himself during a shootout this week with police is allegedly entitled to a taxpayer-funded funeral.

“Gascón, who has been sued by his own prosecutors and blasted by law enforcement due to policies seen as anti-victim, issued a directive on Dec. 7, 2020, that funds funerals, burials, and mental health services for ‘individuals killed by police’ and others,” the Washington Examiner has confirmed.

Gascón has, for his part, denied this “rumor.”

Look:

The problem is that the evidence says otherwise.

The policy cited by the Examiner explicitly states that the Bureau of Victim Services will “contact the families of individuals killed by police and provide support services including funeral, burial and mental health services immediately following the death regardless of the state of the investigation or charging decision.”

According to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, who’s no fan of Gascón and is in fact leading a recall campaign against him, it’s “a blanket policy” that says “all cops are wrong and murderers, and those who are killed are always the victims.”

“I don’t think taxpayers should be underwriting criminal conduct,” he said to the Examiner.

Los Angeles County DA Steve Cooley agrees.

“It is so far from my way of thinking [that] I can’t imagine such a concept. This is beyond disgusting. It insults the memories of the two fallen officers. Shame on Gascon,” he said in a statement to the Examiner.

The two officers, Michael Paredes and Joseph Santana were ambushed and murdered this week by thug Justin Flores when they responded to a 911 call from a motel.

“Flores opened fire on the pair when he opened the door to his room and was later shot to death by additional officers in the parking lot,” according to the Examiner.

And now, thanks to Gascón’s policies, it appears he’s entitled to a taxpayer-funded funeral.

But it gets worse.

“The man who shot and killed two El Monte police officers Tuesday could have faced significantly more time in prison when he was last charged with a crime. But one of Dist. Atty. George Gascón’s most heavily criticized policies probably resulted in a lower sentence,” the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

In 2011, Flores was “convicted of burglary,” a strike offense. A strike offense is one that counts against you if you commit future crimes.

Nine years later, Flores “was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and methamphetamine when he was arrested by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies in 2020.”

Thanks to his prior strike offense, he should have faced a lengthy prison sentence. But thanks to one of Gascón’s policies — a policy that, thankfully, has since been overturned by the courts — prosecutors were barred from applying the strike rule.

And so he wound up being able to plead guilty to just possession of a firearm, in exchange for all other charges being dropped.

This charge alone should have netted him three years in prison. But thanks again to Gascón, instead he ended up with two years of probation and 20 days behind bars.

And now a year later, and thanks to him having been free, two cops are dead …

DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE

If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.

Thank you for your donation!
Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles