Dem lawmaker pushes automatic draft registration as Biden’s itching for war

A Democrat lawmaker is facing steep backlash for pushing for an automatic draft sign-up amid the escalating Ukraine-Russia war.

Rep. Chrissy Houlahan’s proposal would mean that all men who turn 18 would automatically be registered into the draft. This would differ from the current system in which 18 to 25-year-old men are required to “voluntarily” register with Selective Service.

Houlahan, to her credit, previously supported legislation that would have required eligible women to also register for the draft.

While debating the proposal last week, Houlahan argued that an automatic draft sign-up would free up money to spend on “readiness and towards mobilization” versus “education and advertising campaigns driven to register people” for the draft, according to Task & Purpose.

In fairness to her, only 84 percent of qualified men signed up for Selective Service in 2022. Moreover, Selective Service is slated to spend $33 million this year alone “to improve registration compliance rates.”

“We really sort of saw this as a chance to both save government resources, save taxpayer dollars, and to help young men avoid the special challenges later in life that can come from not having registered,” a congressional aide for Houlahan told Task & Purpose.

Fair enough, but it’s also true that most U.S. states, the four territories, and Washington D.C. already automatically register eligible men for Selective Service whenever they obtain a driver’s license, driver’s permit, or other motor vehicle-related piece of identification.

Moreover, eligible men who fail to sign up already face a whole host of draconian repercussions, including ineligibility for federal student aid and jobs at federal agencies, not to mention for security clearances.

“They can also face five years in prison or thousands of dollars in fines,” according to Task & Purpose.

Nevertheless, the backlash to Houlahan’s proposal has been huge, with critics fiercely flaming her for trying to automate draft registration and also questioning why her proposal doesn’t include women.

Look (*Language Warning):

All this comes as Ukraine for the first time ever just fired a U.S.-manufactured missile into Russia.

“It was the first time a Ukrainian official has acknowledged publicly that Ukraine had used American weapons to fire into Russia since President Biden lifted the ban on such strikes,” according to the New York Times.

“For months, the ban had stood as a red line the Biden administration would not cross out of concern about increasing tensions with a nuclear-armed nation,” the Times reported Tuesday.

Ukraine reportedly asked the Biden administration to remove the ban after Russia began attacking Kharkiv earlier this month.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken previously hinted that a change in policy was incoming.

“We haven’t encouraged or enabled strikes outside of Ukraine, but Ukraine, as I’ve said before, has to make its own decisions about the best way to effectively defend itself,” he said during a presser last week. “We’re going to make sure that it has the equipment it needs to do that.”

“And another hallmark of our support for Ukraine over these now more than two years has been to adapt. As the conditions have changed, as the battlefield has changed, as what Russia does has changed in terms of how it’s pursuing its aggression, escalation, we’ve adapted and adjusted too, and I’m confident we’ll continue to do that,” he added.

Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles