Judge grants $1 bail for alleged gang member charged in NYPD officer beating case

One of the criminal illegal aliens allegedly involved in the attack last month on NYPD officers was granted $1 bail on Friday.

Wilson Juarez, 21, received the paltry bail after his attorney convinced the presiding judge that he hadn’t participated in the direct assault of New York Police Department officers but had instead merely tampered with evidence.

Juarez had allegedly swapped jackets with the actual assailants, according to the New York Daily News.

“Once the video footage came out, it was clear Mr. Juarez was not involved in any physical altercation with police but unfortunately his picture continues to be spread around,” his attorney, Adrienne Edward, said, according to local station WABC.

“Mr. Juarez was working – sending money back home to his family,” Edward added.

According to Fox News, the $1 bail also allows Juarez “to avoid deportation while in custody.”

Keep in mind Juarez is reportedly a member of the notorious Tren de Aragua gang from Venezuela.

Thankfully, the other suspects were hit with much better bail amounts.

“Yohenry Brito, who was allegedly seen wrestling with the officers on the pavement, pleaded not guilty and was remanded back into custody until the judge can determine the sources of his bail money. Brito previously posted $15,000 cash,” according to WABC.

“Yorman Reveron pleaded not guilty and was taken into custody after prosecutors requested $100,000 bail. He is accused of interfering with the arrest by grabbing and shoving the officers and was out on supervised release up until Friday,” WABC notes.

Then there’s Kelvin Servita Arocha, who’s currently in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He received a $15,000 bail.

“The final suspect to appear Friday was Darwin Andres Gomez-Izquiel, a 19-year-old who has been in the U.S. for just five months. Just two weeks after his release in the police-assault case, he was accused of stealing $600 worth of merchandise from a Macy’s store. The judge granted prosecutors’ request for $100,000 bail or $250,000 bond,” according to Fox News.

As previously reported, the suspects in the NYPD attack were initially all released without bail, after which some of them allegedly fled to California.

“Cops believe the group could have hopped on a bus bound for California on Wednesday after giving phony names to a church-affiliated nonprofit group that helps migrants get rides out of the city,” the New York Post previously reported, citing law enforcement sources.

But where did the nonprofit get the tickets/vouchers for the illegals to flee the city? From the city itself, it appears.

“[T]he city’s Office of Emergency Management has been supplying travel vouchers to migrants who approach participating nonprofit groups and ask for help leaving the overburdened city,” according to Fox News.

“Those vouchers can be used for various means of transportation, including buses,” Fox News reported.

During Friday’s hearing, however, the defense attorneys denied that any of the men had ever fled town — an argument that seems to make sense given that all five men did attend the hearing in New York City.

To his credit, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has reportedly secured indictments against a total of seven suspects.

“The assault on our police officers in Times Square was despicable and we do not tolerate this type of attack,” he said in a statement. “The seven defendants indicted have now appeared in court, and because of our thorough investigation we can present our case and hold them fully accountable for their actions.”

“Our investigation into the incident with the NYPD remains ongoing and we are working with our law enforcement partners to apprehend the remaining individuals involved,” he added.

However, he’s still facing criticism for having initially released all of the suspects without asking for bail.

Though they were charged with Assault on a Police Officer, Gang Assault, Obstructing Governmental Administration, and Disorderly Conduct,  Bragg permitted their release without bail, despite one officer being left with bruising and the other sustaining cuts to the face.

“The DA in the case should’ve requested bail” in the beginning, Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Hendry told reporters Friday.

“The judge should have kept them behind bars but yet, they were let back on the street to cause havoc,” he added.

Vivek Saxena

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles