Retired cop detained after ‘isolated incident’ results in death of CIA contractor outside Vegas mall

A CIA computer system contractor was fatally shot outside a Las Vegas shopping mall on Tuesday, and a retired Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) officer has been detained.

Robert Hoy, 69, “was a good man,” his widow, Kathleen Hoy, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Every day, he took the couple’s autistic daughter to Opportunity Village, which provides services for those with intellectual disabilities.

“Now I’m a single caregiver,” Kathleen said.

Robert was at Walmart, picking up a prescription, on Tuesday afternoon. He called his wife at around 1:15 p.m. to ask if she wanted him to pick up some food.

That was the last time she heard from her husband, with whom she was expecting to celebrate 36 years of marriage on December 6th.

Initially, Robert’s lifelong friend, Bruce Moore, had told the Review-Journal that the victim was a retired CIA agent, but Kathleen corrected the record, saying that her husband did contract work for the agency.

Robert enjoyed discussing the places he had visited, including the Middle East, while contracting with the CIA, Kathleen explained, and that’s what likely led to Moore’s statement. Robert had also done work for big-name companies such as FEMA and Boeing as a computer system engineer.

LVMPD officers responded to a reported shooting in the 7200 block of Arroyo Crossing Parkway in the southwest Las Vegas valley, known as “Spring Valley,” according to 8 News Now.

They found Robert, shot, and transported him to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Timothy Hatchett, captain of the city’s homicide unit, called the shooting “an isolated incident.”

While no suspect has been arrested for the shooting, 8 News Now reported, “An individual who was detained by Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department officers has been identified as a retired LVMPD officer, sources said.”

“Officials say the department’s homicide section will be taking over the investigation,” the outlet added.

It is unclear what prompted the shooting.

Sin City has been in the headlines in recent weeks, for all the wrong reasons.

As BizPac Review reported, eight teenagers were arrested earlier this month on suspicion of murder after they allegedly beat defenseless Las Vegas high school student Jonathan Lewis, 17, to death.

According to Undersheriff Andrew Walsh, the suspects in the savage attack ranged in age from 13 to 17 years old. The suspects are black, Lewis was white, and Las Vegas authorities are doing all they can to avoid calling the beating a hate crime.

Las Vegas Police Lt. Jason Johannson called video of the incident “void of humanity,” but he contended that there “was no evidence the incident could be considered a hate crime,” KLAS reported.

Lewis was allegedly attacked after he stepped in to defend his friend during a fight over stolen headphones and possibly a stolen marijuana vape pen.

 

Melissa Fine

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles