Update on Calif teen who mowed down mom with infant reveals unthinkable details

The story of a then 16-year-old California teen plowing into a mother and her infant son in a stolen car only seems to get worse as more details are uncovered.

Under the direction of Los Angeles’s progressive left district attorney, George Gascón, prosecutors declined to charge the teenager with assault with a deadly weapon or attempted murder. The mother and child miraculously survived the assault with only minor injuries. The teen, who was reportedly high at the time, was sentenced to just 5 months in a “juvenile probation camp.”

And we now learn that the teen has a criminal background and was on probation at the time of the Aug. 2021 hit-and-run, according to Fox News. Turns out, the teen had been convicted of felony poisoning in 2019 after spiking a teenage girl’s drink in high school, resulting in her going to the hospital.

The young mother who literally placed her body between the vehicle and her baby released a statement that was shared by Fox News correspondent Bill Melugin:

“Someone with a criminal record tried to kill me and my son, and George Gascon thinks that five months of camp is a sufficient punishment,” she said. “Gascon’s office took the time to falsely comment on my case, but has taken no time to ask how we are doing. That’s because he doesn’t care. Gascon and his staff are highlighting their incompetence and their complete disregard for victims.”

“Fortunately, the baby was uninjured, and the mother received a laceration to her elbow,” Gascon’s office said on Friday. “The Sheriff’s Department agreed with the felony charges that were filed. At arraignment, the minor admitted two felony counts of assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury and one felony count of hit-and-run. The Probation Department recommended, and the court sentenced the minor to a youth camp for five to seven months, an appropriate resolution.”

The statement added that juvenile justice is intended to “rehabilitate young people,” but Gascon would soon be walking it all back when he got called out by Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva.

“We were never consulted as we were not the investigating agency,” Villanueva tweeted. “[Sheriff’s] Investigators would never be OK with the lightweight sentencing in this hit-and-run case. #VictimMatter.”

This prompted a spokesperson for the DA’s office to say, “Need to correct our statement from yesterday. LASD was not involved in the decision on the felony charge, as they were not the investigating agency in that case.”

Jon Hatami, Los Angeles deputy district attorney, told Fox News that it looks “very negligent” that the public is just now learning that the teenager was on probation at the time.

“As a district attorney, you have an obligation to be transparent,” Hatami said, adding that it’s possible Gascon didn’t tell the media about the probation on purpose.

DONATE TO AMERICAN WIRE

If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to American Wire News to help us fight them.

Thank you for your donation!
Tom Tillison

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles