Marco Rubio issues alarming warning about this week’s cellular outage

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), vice-chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, had a somewhat alarming response to Thursday’s massive cellular outage affecting many AT&T customers.

Taking to social media early Thursday, Rubio suggested that China has the ability to wreak havoc on our daily lives at any given moment via a cyber attack.

“I don’t know the cause of the AT&T outage But I do know it will be 100 times worse when #China launches a cyber attack on America on the eve of a #Taiwan invasion. And it won’t be just cell service they hit, it will be your power, your water and your bank,” he tweeted.

There was speculation online that the outages may be the result of a solar flare, although AT&T did not provide a reason in a statement that said the company is “working urgently to restore service.”

“A strong solar flare occurred around midnight Thursday. Although it’s not clear what caused a nationwide cell phone service provider outage, strong solar flares/geomagnetic storms can impact radio communications and technology on Earth,” Emily Sutton of Oklahoma station KFOR reported.

As for China, FBI Director Christopher Wray issued a dire warning Sunday at Munich’s annual security conference, saying Beijing’s efforts to covertly plant offensive malware inside U.S. critical infrastructure networks is now at “a scale greater than we’d seen before,” according to the Wall Street Journal.

Wray called the issue a defining national security threat.

Last month, during a hearing by the House Select Committee on Strategic Competition between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party, Wray warned about attacks on critical infrastructure.

“There has been far too little public focus on the fact that PRC (People’s Republic of China} hackers are targeting our critical infrastructure—our water treatment plants, our electrical grid, our oil and natural gas pipelines, our transportation systems—and the risk that poses to every American requires our attention now,” he said, according to Newsweek.

Social media users were quick to note that the infiltration of our southern border by millions of illegal immigrants includes a significant uptick in military-age males from China.

Here’s a quick sampling of responses to the story, as seen in X:

Tom Tillison

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

Latest Articles